Thursday, February 08, 2007

Transition

I come here to you, my small but faithful readership to bid adieu.

I am leaving Phat Duck, my humble little blog behind. Just nearing it's second birthday, this blog has been a documentation of my growth. Started to share with friends and family a journey I took to England, the first few months opened my window into The Fat Duck kitchen for you. While filling a 2 month stage, I wrote, photographed, and shared the amazing education I was receiving at a kitchen that is leading the culinary world right now. Many of you joined me after bits of the blog were published in the London Guardian. I'll never forget that day, when Heston walked up to me with a look of mischief and said, "I read your diary."

Upon my return to the states, the blog began to follow me through the ins and outs of becoming a pastry chef. I took my first "chef" job running the pastry department (of 1, that's I was the department) at Eva, a small neighborhood restaurant in Seattle. Using their strong beliefs in organics, seasonality, and local producers, I developed the skills needed to manage a dessert menu. You'll see in my posts from beginning to the end a progression in not only the desserts, but the format in which I wrote about them. Finding my niche in thoughtful essays with recipes and photographs, it seems I have just settled into a format the readers could count on, and here I go running out the door.

But don't fret just yet. You can come with me!

I will now be co-writing Tasting Menu with Hillel Cooperman. We met years ago when I worked at Lampreia. I spent my time in the kitchen, him at the table. But his passion for food brought him to the back of the house time and time again. When Hillel and his friends applied their talents to a menu Scott Carsberg had created to celebrate apples, an amazing digital cookbook was produced. And I got to know Hillel and the people of Tasting Menu.

Since then a mutual respect has grown, and it's become clear that our complimentary voices will be best suited writing together. Tasting Menu will now give it's readers perspective from behind the plate, and behind the stove.

I am also taking yet another career step into the kitchen at The Rainer Club. Looking to fill some holes in my education, I will be working with banquet production/catering, butchery and charcuterie, then finally cooking on the hot line in one of the most developmentally supportive, highly professional high end kitchens I have encountered.

Expect to see some of the dessert writing Phat Duck is famous for, insight into the industry, and a bit about the work I do at The Ranier Club.

So to Tasting Menu we go, just a click away........

12 Comments:

Blogger Naes said...

Congratulations on the transition. Wouldn't it figure, I just subscribed to your rss feed and the first post I get is to say you're leaving! I can't remember how I found your blog, but it caught my interest because of some parallels we share. I've called Seattle home since 01 but moved to NYC this past fall to attend ICE for the pastry & baking arts program (and culinary management). I plan to stay in NYC and work for a couple of years before heading back to Seattle.

I look forward to reading your posts and maybe I'll be hitting you up for a job in a couple of years ;)

February 08, 2007 4:04 PM  
Anonymous Aaron said...

And right after I have found you...DARN!

February 08, 2007 6:50 PM  
Anonymous Sil (bs As) said...

oh, I was afraid you dissapear from the blogsphere!!...so..see you on tasting menu!

February 09, 2007 8:57 AM  
Blogger Joseph said...

Good luck from a regular reader. I have enjoyed your blog and your sweet creations.

February 09, 2007 8:43 PM  
Anonymous noĆ©mie said...

i have so much enjoyed your blog and all the amazing posts you wrote, the recipes that you shared! I will be happy to follow your transition on Tasting Menu now! see you soon dana.

February 10, 2007 11:35 AM  
Anonymous peabody said...

Best of luck in your new adventure.

February 10, 2007 3:02 PM  
Anonymous maura said...

Good luck with everything!

I look forward to reading you at Tasting Menu.

February 10, 2007 6:55 PM  
Blogger cuisinier said...

although it seems odd to me writing to you since you are in my kitchen, oh well. Good luck at Tasting menu and I too look forward to new ideas as well as sharing them!

February 14, 2007 10:15 PM  
Blogger lee said...

I'm sad to see the end of Phat Duck but happy that you will still have a presence on the web. Good luck with the new job!

February 15, 2007 8:27 AM  
Anonymous peter said...

Yours was by far and away the best cooking blog I have found. Written by a professional chef, not some demented amateur. Further, it was well written and you have an quite individual "voice".

All the best for the future

February 18, 2007 1:15 AM  
Anonymous Nina said...

What a relief that you'll still be writing at Tasting Menu! I was really worried for a minute b/c I like your writing and culinary style so much.

Best of luck with your new endeavors!

February 18, 2007 11:03 PM  
Anonymous kate_pc@yahoo.com said...

Hi Dana,

Encountered your blog while searching for Fat Duck in Google. Can you provide me with an email addy so that I can PM you stuff about your stagiere in Fat Duck?

Thanks

February 05, 2008 8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home