Thursday, August 03, 2006

Chikalicious

I first heard the name Chikalicious in passing a few years ago. It was just opening, and I was in the vicinity of a conversation discussing a restaurant who's counter seating would wrap around the chef's work space, much like a sushi bar. Interesting, but it was what this restaurant would serve that had my ears straining for more information. Chikalicious is a restaurant serving only desserts, the first that I had heard of.

I was, am, fascinated with the idea of high end, creative plated desserts taking center stage. A place meant to provide an unforgettable dessert experience without the trappings of a 2 hour multi course meal in a high end restaurant.

Since then the name has picked up momentum, and Chika the chef has been gaining a strong reputation. While I have yet to visit New York City and Chikalicious itself, I was thrilled to find this video, a window into an experience I can't wait to have myself! Enjoy.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mouser said...

When Danalicious opens in Seattle, I'll be there! A restaurant devoted to the best course, dessert, what a fabulous idea!

August 04, 2006 2:13 AM  
Blogger a. said...

This is so great. I like the fact that they are serving too, as opposed to having waitors. Being able to watch them is fun too. Apparently Sam Mason and Pichet Ong are opening their own dessert/bar/ restaurants in Nyc. That would be worth the visit too.

August 04, 2006 6:26 AM  
Anonymous Becca said...

Okay, that looks awesome! Yum.

August 04, 2006 11:10 AM  
Anonymous Malini said...

You HAVE TO GO to Chikalicious. I had their fixed dessert menu-Warm cranberry pudding with cranberry soup, and ended with their petite fours-pecan sandies, coconut marshmallows, and flourless chocolate cake-I ate this two years ago but I can still taste it!

August 05, 2006 10:39 AM  
Blogger shuna fish lydon said...

I have been here innumerable times and I will continue to go as often as possible. It is really an ode to our profession and I hope you make it there! Don, the co-owner is a gem as well.

(Maybe you'll stop in on your honeymoon?)

August 09, 2006 11:09 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Libby- I know if I open a dessert only restaurant I'll name my most chocolate dessert after you!

A.- yes, I have heard that those two are opening dessert restaurants. We are getting our first serious dessert only restaurant in seattle here too. It's to be called Coco La Ti Da, named after the chef Sue McCown's favorite dessert.

Becca- Double Yum

Malini- The warm cranberry pudding sounds amazing!

Shuna- I am green with envy of your repeat visits! Russell and I made the itinerary for the road trip and looked at eachother and said,"do you want to fly?" 3 days required over 12 hours in the car! So sadly I won't be passing through SF this trip. But a trip devoted to your fair city alone is due. I do hope one day to get to meet you.

August 10, 2006 6:45 PM  
Blogger Astrid said...

Thank you for sharing this video! What a great idea. Eat a simple but satisfying noodle dish across the street, and then treat yourself to a high end dessert.
Oh how I wish I lived in NY sometimes!

August 13, 2006 11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

- Steven Burda, MBA
http://www.linkedin.com/in/burda
e-mail: steven.burda.mba @gmail.com

Also:
http://www.homepage.villanova.edu/steven.burda/

October 17, 2006 10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home