Friday, July 21, 2006

Come out and play

Rather than write about what I have done this summer after the fact, I thought I'd open up my schedule with my few but faithful readers and give them a chance to participate in some of the fun things I am doing this summer!

July 23rd- At noon I can be found on the street in front of the Pike Place Market. In a stall at the farmers market held outside, I will be demonstrating some delicious ways to use Raspberries. I will be giving tips on making puree's thicker and brighter, demonstrating the recipe for an easy Raspberry mousse, and talking about all the delicious ways to incorporate raspberries into desserts.

July 23rd- At 5 pm I am teaching a class at Cooks World about summer fruit desserts. Filled with professional tips, I will share with you all the all the nitty gritty details of what I do, however tedious they may seem. By nature, fruit makes for quick to prepare desserts, particularly in the summer when they are so ripe and delicious you want to eat them out of hand. We will make a frozen wild flower honey mousse which can be paired with many summer fruits, the easy raspberry mousse, and a few more recipes to be decided. There is still room in the class if you are interested, you can reserve a spot on the cooks world web site.

July 31st- At Eva Restaurant, we have been very honored to host an event celebrating Emily Luchetti and her newest book, A Passion For Ice Creams. The event is organized through Books and Cooks, a wonderful program that pairs authors with chefs for these events. I will be preparing a selection of treats from her book for you to enjoy while you get a chance to meet Emily Luchetti. This event is billed, "an ice cream social for adults" and will include a selection of 5 frozen treats, some ice cream, and a little champagne. The cost is 36 dollars per person, and the books will be for sale ready to be signed and cherished.

Those pastry hounds should be familiar with Emily Luchetti's books, and if you are lucky enough to live in San Francisco, her desserts themselves. She is an amazing pastry chef with a down to earth yet elegant style. I have worked with her books for some time now, and getting the chance to meet her and prepare her desserts for her is truly an honor.

Again, there are still spaces open. To make a reservation, call Eva Restaurant at 206-633-3538 and ask to make a reservation for the Emily Luchetti Ice Cream Social. The seating is at 7:30 pm, but come early and mingle, the bar will be open and some little bites will be passed to nibble on.

August 12th- At the Columbia City farmers Market Amy McCray, the chef at Eva along with me (her trusty pastry side kick) will be competing in a Ready, Set, Cook competition. We will have a little time to scour the market for ingredients, then will set to work. We go head to head with the Julie Anders, the chef of La Medusa in Columbia City. The competition begins at 11:00 am, so while you are out supporting our local farmers and indulging in some of the most beautiful produce, honey, fruits, and such, stop by and watch!

August 20th- An Incredible Feast- This super fun event held to benefit the local Farmers Market foundation, run by local Seattle legend Tamara Murphy, is a celebration of local farmers and chefs. Each participating farmer is paired with a chef, who creates a small bite centered around the farmers specialty. Over 20 of Seattle's favorite chef's participate, showing off their talents. This year Amy is making barbecue, which will be served with a little slaw, on top of a buttermilk biscuit made by yours truly. For the 50 dollar admission you get the chance to nibble on tons of great food, the knowledge that you are supporting and celebrating your local farmers, and a book including all the great recipes you'll taste. Information on purchasing tickets can be found here.

August 26th- I will be participating in a wedding. I am pleased to say I am the Bride, marrying the sweetest, most handsome man alive, Russell Cree. We are holding the event on his parents property in Oregon. The ceremony will be held on the banks of Rock Creek, with a reception to follow in the Cree's back yard. The biggest question I hear is, "who is going to make YOUR wedding cake?!" Well, me of course! I plan on one single white cake, old fashioned coconut layer cake with fluffy white icing, and a big table filled with all sorts of other cakes, pies, tarts, brownies, cobblers, buckles, and other down home desserts. Following this big day is a honeymoon road trip through the Grand Ganyon, through Sedona, to Flagstaff Arizona, and back up the coast.

12 Comments:

Anonymous fiona bizwaps said...

Dana,

This all sounds absolutely beautimous. I am just so sad that I am leaving so soon.

I wish you health, wealth and much whipped-to-soft-peak happiness.

With much love
Ms Bizwaps

July 21, 2006 2:33 PM  
Blogger Hope said...

Your wedding plan sounds magical... from a dreamy coconut cake to a dreamy-er honeymoon. All Best To You, Dana!

July 21, 2006 10:14 PM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

congratulations! may you have a sweet happy icecreamfilled life together: with sprinkles.

July 22, 2006 7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anita said...

I wish I could come up to Seattle and go to these fabulous events you've described! but I'm happy to hear about the last one:) Congratulations and best wishes!

July 22, 2006 4:05 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Fiona- I'd say come back soon, but I'd rather run off to London for your company!

Hope- Dreamy thanks, my dear!

Lisa- Everything is better with sprinkles, even marraige I imagine.

Anita- Thanks again!

July 23, 2006 10:04 AM  
Blogger shuna fish lydon said...

If you can give me really detailed directions, I may come on the 12th...!

or maybe I'll take the train up and we can eat some lemon pie...

July 24, 2006 3:49 PM  
Anonymous Rocky said...

Best wishes for a long, happy, and absolutely wonderful marriage Dana. He's a lucky guy! I'm hoping to make it to the Ice Cream social but I'll be driving back from Oregon that day. All the events sound like tremendous fun!

Rocky

July 25, 2006 12:57 AM  
Anonymous Malini said...

I have been reading your blog for quite sometime and it has been inspirational for a fledgling pastry cook like me.

Thank you so much for your insights and unique recipes.

Wishing you all the best for a very happy married life.

July 25, 2006 7:09 PM  
Blogger lee said...

Hey! I'm getting married on the 26th too. I've done wedding cakes for others but I'm not doing my own. I am doing all the food though! Life is good...

July 26, 2006 5:25 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

Shuna- Once I figure out how to get there myself, I'll email you a map. Pie sounds great! I'd love to hear your coments on how it's made.

Rocky- I hope you can make it too! There is nothing to make the time on the road pass faster than a promise of 6 courses of frozen deserts!

Malini- You're making me blush. I am glad you have found some inspiration from a fledgeling pastry chef.

Lee- WOW! congrats! Your birthday isn't April 23rd too, is it? We are having really down home food... pulled pork or something meaty and barbequed, cole slaw, potato salad, biscuits, and other picknick favorites. Good luck in your own wedding endevors!

July 26, 2006 9:54 AM  
Anonymous Lauren said...

One for the "small world" category: I came across your blog during a search for Seattle area cooking blogs, and I was a patient (although not of Russell's)at Real Rehab! I've enjoyed your writing, and your desserts look lovely. Best of luck to the both of you; now I'll definitely have to revisit Eva! Hopefully I can stay away from Russell's employer for a while...

July 27, 2006 12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog! Your pix are very beautifully taken & your descriptions can make even the most disciplined dieters contemplate breaking their diet.

You husband is very lucky to marry you. I wish you both many happy & sweet years filled with love, smiles & laughter ahead.

October 12, 2006 10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home