Saturday, April 15, 2006

What's poetry got to do with Pastry

What's poetry got to do with pastry, you might ask. Well, nothing really. But it's got to do with Dana. A poet, I do not claim to be, but I enjoy twisting words on occasion for no purpose other than to enjoy their aesthetic. And I am a big fan of those that have mastered the art, my favorite being Frank O'Hara.

So while reading the New York times this morning, I found an article about Fibonacci, a form of poetry whose syllabic rhythm is dictated, much like the well known Haiku. In this form, the syllables are dictated by the mathematical Fibonacci sequence resulting in a 20 syllable poem with a count by line of 1/1/2/3/5/8.

Writers and poets use poems with strict syllabic structures as exercises. It forces you to select your words very carefully, considering how much you can convey with so few words. In my highschool writing classes, my favorite exercise was to take all our writings, and reduce each to a haiku. This taught us to reduce pages and pages of thought into just a few words, carving out the soul of the writing.

Ok, ok, so to the point already. The NY times article wasn't just about the poetic form, but about a blogger. This blogger, Gregory K by name, Gottabook by blog, had made a call to all others in cyberspace to add their own poems, to play with the form. The post spread like wildfire, collecting enough participants for the New York Times to take notice and spread the work further.

And I too, am joining the cause. I have composed 3 fibs, as they are called, inspired by my last 2 posts. And I call to you, dear readers, food bloggers, word smiths, to enjoy the movement and compose your own food fib. We create with food, and then manipulate words descriptively on our own blogs, the poem is there in all of us.

Don't fear, these aren't meant to be timeless works of words, rather snapshots so to speak. Post here, on Gregory K's blog, on your own blog, or on a napkin no one but yourself will ever see.

In Bloom

Come,
small
blossom.
Seasons birth,
coaxed from a bare branch.
Springs first light spilling from the sky.

Burnt Sugar


Run!
Run!
Hurry!
Come here quick!
You're Caramel's burning!
"Relax," I say. "It's supposed to."

I Heart Bacon
inspired by a comment

Pig?
Ha!
Your blog's
about sweets.
I can't help but ask,
What's pork got to do with pastry?

5 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Bread
with butter
is better
for tastebuds and soul
than unnatural margerine

April 15, 2006 11:13 AM  
Blogger Gregory K. said...

Pie
Cake
Cookies
I adore thee.
Let me count the ways!
Hey, what comes after a googol?


Thanks for the food Fibbery!

April 15, 2006 9:32 PM  
Anonymous Carolyn said...

Hark!
Spring
arrives
in April
with blooms and fragrance
fortelling days of warmth and light

April 15, 2006 9:53 PM  
Anonymous becky said...

Spring.
Ha!
She laughs
Down at us
Sad Seattlelites
Cold rain kisses my upturned grin

April 16, 2006 12:33 AM  
Anonymous Becky said...

And one more food-related...


Soup
of
Nettles
Green goodness
Scattered pink petals
Perfect salmonberry blossoms

April 16, 2006 1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home