Wednesday, March 01, 2006

New Additions

I tamper with my link list a fair amount, adding links I use often, and deleting them if I have stopped using them. I often do this with little fan fair, avoiding the "you're fired!" attitude of elimination, and saving you the obligation to look at the things I like to.

But I have recently added two links I feel are worth mention, both listed under the "website" section of my new and improved link list.

First is Sam Mason, NYC. A website created by Sam Mason, about Sam Mason, for you and me. It houses pictures, philosophies, histories, and all sorts of great information. For those of you who don't know yet, Sam Mason is the Pastry Chef of WD-50. His work is outstanding, succeeding where few have. He has crossed boundaries with desserts, paving the way for those willing to follow. The desserts he creates deny the sweetness that mark 99.9 percent of dessert and satisfy instead with intensity of flavor, color, life. He uses the doors opened by molecular gastronomy to create plated desserts with uncommon flavors, textures, presentations. And he uses ingredients that have been unrightly locked away in the savory kitchens stores for too many years now. I must say, the design of the sight is dead sexy too.

Second, is Seasonal Cornucopia. This website was built as an interactive tool used to find seasonal products in the Pacific Northwest. Built by a very passionate individual in the spare time between cooking in one of the Seattle area's restaurants (best known for intensely seasonal cuisine), teaching classes, private dinners, and having a life, this website is a labor of love. The user has only to type in an ingredient, be it vegetable, fish, game, cheese, and so on, and information regarding it's season, where it is found, and other helpful information pops up. It seems simple enough when navigating through the site, but when you stop to think of how one even starts to amass this vast amount of information, you realize how amazing it is that this page exists. It is not a marketing tool, rather one persons gift to the culinary world.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Thanks for the Sam Mason link, Dana. I am 98% decided I am going to go to WD50 for dinner on my actual 40th birthday when I visit NYC in june - as long as I manage to get a table, of course. Fred will be happy as he doesnt care for too much sugar. Me, however, I can't wait to try all the new tastes, but maybe I'll have to guarantee a decadent dip into sugar and sweet by making sure I have a more traditional birthday dessert for lunch instead.

I was experimenting with your melting chocolate cookie recipe yesterday. I came up with an interesting version, but i need to perfect if further before I can rishk sharing it on my blog!

March 01, 2006 11:38 PM  
Blogger littledminor said...

Oh, I heart it - Seasonal Cornucopia, here I come!
I did type in "cornish game hen", and nothing came up. [sigh]

March 07, 2006 1:13 PM  
Anonymous Becky @ S. Cornucopia said...

Hey littledminor:
I'm in the process of tracking down local sources for some of the little birds. A lot of them are coming out of California. But stay tuned, if someone in Washington is humanly raising and selling cornish game hens I'll put the info up as soon as I find them.

March 07, 2006 4:09 PM  
Blogger littledminor said...

I actually was a little kidding - since when most of us think "seasonal", we think about our things that grow out of the ground. But if we can get those little troublemakers fresh and local, then bring it on!

March 07, 2006 4:57 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Sam- Oh, I do hope you get to WD-50 so I can live vicariously through you. I have had many results from the melting chcolate.... my best tips are

1. make sure the meringue is whipped tight, and let the chocolate cool a bit before adding.

2. Do not over bake.

I guess that's three, but I only used 2 numbers!!!

Becky and Little D-minor- It looks like you have made your introductions! I hope you Little D enjoy the sight!
And thanks again Becky for your labor of love

March 09, 2006 12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home