Wednesday, March 01, 2006

the early bird

It's 7:30 in the morning and I am off to work. This can only mean one thing...... 25 for 25 has begun.

The memory of the frenzy that took over durring novembers 25 for 25 is like a freshly healed wound. While the sting is gone, a dull ache persists when I think of a particular tuesday last november. This ache drives me on to prep obsessively, pour over the menu making lists of menu components, mise en place, prep lists, lists of lists to make.

I am not sure how the 25 for 25 effects bigger kitchens. But as the kitchen at Eva stands, it is a small crew. The pastry department is smaller, just me. While others will plate the desserts on the pantry station, the entire production is left up to one person. And this promotion takes a fairly steady 35 to 38 percent dessert sales and sends it up around 100 percent. In addition, this promotion also raises the number of guests from a weekday/sunday average of 30 to 40 guests a night up near 100 guests a night.

Meaning, the guest count jumps from 200 to 500. If 500 people come in this week, (barring friday and saturday) I have to put out 500 desserts rather than 175 to 200. Which is of course a challenge I am not going to shy away from. But it's enough to wake me from my morning slumber and get me out the door early.

Did I mention it's my day off?

7 Comments:

Blogger littledminor said...

but, where is Eva on the list?

March 01, 2006 10:43 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Wow, good luck! You can do it!!

March 01, 2006 3:51 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Littledminor- if you are refering to the list on the link I set to the 25 for 25 website, it is the 8th restaurant down. The logo is small and it's kind of hard to read the name.

Mona- thanks for the encouragement!

March 01, 2006 4:09 PM  
Anonymous David said...

wow, had no chance to read your blog for a while, but seems that you are still whining as usual, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

a bit of advice i believe you parted onto me; "Suck it up".

your biggest fan,

david

p.s. found a new author that i just started reading, Tom Robbins. a nice little love story, Still Life With Woodpecker, was fun, light and entertaining. you should check it out. However it does have some graphic sexual episodes in it, so if you do read it, don't think i'm getting all Anis Nin giver on you and yell at me - wink.

March 01, 2006 9:36 PM  
Blogger lee said...

I feel for you. Your post brought back memories of getting to work at 4 AM running like crazy to get everthing done. Crying myself to sleep at 5:30 PM so I could get up at 2 AM to start all over again. So glad I'm not in pastry anymore!

March 07, 2006 7:37 AM  
Blogger littledminor said...

ahhh, I see it. I think I was secretly hoping that no one would see the logo and that would mean that the droves of harpies that come to dine during 25 to 25 will pass over the restaurant like the angel of death...
you know, like in Egyptian times- a la Yul Brenner and Charleton Heston.

March 07, 2006 1:11 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

David... well look what the cat dragged in! I was wondering when you'd surface again. It's been fun talking about you behind your back with Jen at work. Ha ha ha. Just kidding.

I'll take your word on the book, sounds good. And since Post Office was so good, I trust your taste. Thanks for the Anais Nin warning. I like to know in advance when I am going to be harrassed!! Again, just kidding. When are you going to ask me to meet for a drink?

Lee- 2 am??? that's bed time.

Little D- yes, the droves of harpies are in. The secret diner had some nice things to say, check the list.

Have you been in yet?

March 09, 2006 1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home