Friday, February 17, 2006

Busy Bee

While my blog remains empty of recent posts, my life has been full. It seems every day has multiple obligations, and yes, I did take a nice mini vacation, but mostly work work work.

I still don't have time for a proper post, but thought I'd offer a link to an article that I participated in. It poses the question, "how do chef's battle the lack of seasonal abundance in winter." The writer, Rebekah Denn asked the question of 3 chefs who's cuisine celebrates seasonal produce. This included Jerry Traunfeld of the Herbfarm who's cuisine not only highlights what is in season, he grows most of it in his own gardens surrounding the restaurant. Next was the Kevin Fogarty, chef of the vegetarian restaurant Carmelita, who faces a very interesting challenge when his entire menu relies on vegetables. And finally, little old me, who is now creating a pastry menu void of the fresh fruit that desert enthusiasts love so much.

The decision to include me came from this humble little blog, I was told. The writer read a post I had written in which I talked about how lucky I was to have started my job in the summer when the seasonal fruit was in it's height of abundance. I learned how to manage a menu, develop desserts, while the fruit was doing most of the work. I just had to step back my own skills and let the fruit shine. I could slice peaches, nectarines, strawberries, and put them next to a buttermilk panna cotta with a zinfandel syrup and be done. But now that it is winter, it is time to put my skills and learned techniques to work.

And I must add, as soon as fruit goes out of season, chocolate comes in to season. A hot, sunny, summer day wets the appetite for light, clean, fruity flavors. However, as soon as the days turn dark, and cold, richer, deeper, more luxurious tastes like chocolate are craved. (And yes, I know there are many who feel that chocolate season runs 365 days a year.)

So take a minute to read the article!

"Cold, bleak winter? Not on their tables"

5 Comments:

Blogger Mona said...

Very interesting topic. I'm going to read that article right now. Thanks for sharing:)

February 19, 2006 8:54 AM  
Blogger shaz said...

HI there.. chance upon your blog from a link. NIce site. I added a link to your site on my blog. I hope you dun mind. Shaz, a fellow food blogger from Singapore.

February 19, 2006 9:42 AM  
Blogger shuna fish lydon said...

I have always said that winter kicks the pastry chef's ass. But in a good challenging/new learning sort of way.

In winter I turn to nuts, chocolate, dried fruits, citrus, apples and pears. I am especially fond of lemons so winter is alsways a great excuse to make all sorts of things with them.

This is a great topic, thanks for the article link.

February 24, 2006 11:22 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

mona... you're welcome

Shaz... Welcome to my blog! I am glad to have you and to be introduced to your own blog.

Shuna... Lemons and limes hold a very dear place in my own heart too. I am a pastry chef without much of a sweet tooth, so lemony, limey, kumquaty, grapefruity, (I guess I could have just said citrusy) desserts are my favorites.

February 24, 2006 11:33 PM  
Blogger Nancy White said...

Thank goodness for chocolate season! (And I've enjoyed your desserts at Eva. Great to have found your blog!)

March 02, 2006 1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home