Monday, September 26, 2005

Other Peoples Restaurants

These past few weeks I have been fortunate to partake in other peoples restaurants. Here are a few things I ate.
First I ate at Cafe Juanita with my old friend Mike. Mike travels up from San Francisco from time to time and we often share a meal. He joined me at Cafe Juanita for a very nice meal.

Here Mike is enjoying his dinner, the dry aged rib eye with a healthy portion of gorgonzola on the top.

This is one of the two starters we ordered. It is seared foie gras with a very nice addition of cocoa nibs on the top. It is nested in warm nectarines. The heating of the nectarines mellowed out their flavor making them subtle and luxurious.


This dish, hard to see as it is, is the braised rabbit. The rabbit leg is boned, and stuffed with an olive stuffing, wrapped in panchetta, and braised in Arneis. Along side is a crepe made of chickpeas and Liguarian olive oil. There are chanterelles all around in a very rich, buttery, creamy sauce made from the braising stock. And the breast of the rabbit, as tiny as it is, flanks the dish.


This is another starter we ordered of Octopus, a chickpea puree, fennell, and a green sauce. I don't remember what the green sauce was, honestly I was too taken with the Foie Gras at the time. I hadn't tasted Foie Gras since the Fat Duck and was having a moment with myself.

Market Street Grill

Russell and I ate again at the Market Street Grill not too long ago.

Here is the roasted chicken that Russell often orders while dining out. He was a vegetarian when he met me, so he rarely does meat. When he does choose meat, it is mostly just chicken or fish. So we have sampled a few different roasted chickens from a few different restaurants. This one impressed me more than any others for presentation and flavor. The petite chicken half sits atop very tender braised chard and a perfect square of potato gratain.


Here is a simple dessert of warm lemon yogurt cake with blueberry compote and vanilla icecream


And this is the crown for the dining out. The plate is Boudin Blanc, potato puree, watercress salads, and a brown butter balsamic sauce. The Boudin Blanc is a sausage made of veal, bread, egg, and cream. The texture was almost like a pudding.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're down with OPR.

Where are we going next week?


-RC

September 29, 2005 9:01 PM  
Anonymous david said...

you're going to marry an ex-vegetarian!

i thought he was a bit skinny and malnurished.

October 09, 2005 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home