Saturday, June 25, 2005

Under the Radar

I am still here!!

My travels have recently taken me very far under the radar so to speak. Away from computers, into a world of food, new places, and time with family and old friends that I see too rarely. I have stories that will be posted upon my return home. The italian family i was staying with laughed when I started to take notes on their family meals and called me a japanese tourist when I broke out the camera.

I am in Regensburg right now. My arrival here last night is an experience that I will only have once. It amounted to this. I went to a rest stop on the side of the freeway and got in a car with a strange man who then whisked me away down the Autobahn at speeds of 220 to 240 km per hour. My eyebrows were raised too when my sister suggested it. It is called mitfahrgelegenheit. It is something like arranged hitchhiking. There is a website in which people will post thier travel plans and for much much less than a train ticket you can carpool with them. It is very common. And safe.

I am now staying with an old friend, and will get just one more short day with my sister. Then tuesday I fly to London, and wednesday I fly home.

I have so much information back logged and the excitement of a new job to write about.

I spent one afternoon learning how to make buffalo mozzerella from an old italian couple.....and I have all the pictures to prove it!!!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"... learning how to make buffalo mozzerella.. "

Post it!!
Please, please, PLEASE!!!

Thanks :)

G.

June 25, 2005 10:08 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

G. soon, paitients. in the next two weeks.

June 25, 2005 11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!

I will wait as long as needed..

patiently, very patiently..

:)
G.

June 27, 2005 12:02 PM  
Anonymous Becca said...

Dana-

You are really coming home? I am so very excited! I loved the pride card. Thanks for thinking of this funny little queer girl. And yes, Libby, I do celebrate every month. In fact, I have a daily "I am so glad that I like girls" pride parade in my living room. And hey, because it is in my own house, I don't even have to worry about the pasties or tassels.

I love you guys.

June 27, 2005 3:36 PM  
Anonymous Nicky said...

Hi Dana,
I've been following your blog throughout the last months and really enjoyed reading about your experience at The Fat Duck. 'Hope you had a great time in Germany - funny coincidence, we visited some old friends in Regensburg on the same day you stayed in this beautiful bavarian city (June, the 25th). Did you have a chance to visit the “Bürgerfest” (town festival)? Always great fun, offering a great culinary spree – just haven’t posted about it yet... Please keep posting after returning home ;)

July 04, 2005 1:30 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

Hey nicky

Yes, I WAS at the burger fest. It rained on us quite a bit so we spend much of the time huddled in the doorways or under tents. But it was really fun. I had some traditional bavarian fare. Knudle, sausage and kraut, something I think is called Rind fliech? We might have walked past eachother!! funny.

July 11, 2005 8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home