Sunday, May 01, 2005

Mixing things up

There is a blender to top all blenders in the kitchen at The Fat Duck. It's called the thermo mix. It blends allright, like nothing you have ever seen. But that's not all. It also has a built in scale a heating ellement. So not only can you weigh your ingredients, but you can add heat while blending. This is useful for making things like creme brule, sabayon, and almost anything you'd need to whisk to cook over a double boiler. We used the same machine at Lampreia, but I never touched the other buttons. Infact, I didn't even know what they were for. The dial with the temperatures is in celcius so I didn't recognize them as degrees. Plus, after 100 degrees the next marking is not a sequencial number, but the word "Varoma". What ever that meant, I was certianly scared to "varoma" the strawberries for my sauce. Turns out it is a setting that us used with a steamer. Hmmm... a steamer, a spinning blade, and vahrona. What these three things used in unison can do to a vegetable is a good question. Cooking with a steaming hot vortex..... the possibilities are endless.

3 Comments:

Anonymous rockdork said...

visualize whirled (and steamed) peas.

May 02, 2005 9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i believe the word is varoma.

May 02, 2005 10:46 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

Oh, varoma. This week I discovered that I am deaf, color blind, and aparently now I can't read. ha ha

May 02, 2005 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home