Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Number one

I have just returned from the celebration thrown by Heston Blumenthal for his team in honor of their most exciting award. Well to be accurate, two teams, two awards. First and formost on all of Britains minds is the Restaurant magazine awards number one ranked restaurant in the world, The Fat Duck. It came in above El Bulli at number 2, and the French Laundry at number 3. As I started work Paul teased me, "so how does it feel to be the number one stagiere in the world?" But in all seriousness, this is amazing. The top kitchen in the world and I have the best seat in the house to see this stellar team of cooks play their game. There is so much tallent and strenghth in that kitchen. Without shame i can look at each of these cooks and see how much stronger they are than me. It has definately set a precedent for me of what a cook can be as an individual and as part of a team.

And to put the icing on Hestons cake, the pub he owns across the street, The Hinds Head was named Decanter magazines best restaurant. Heston seems to be on top of the world. I congratulated him tonight and thanked him for letting me tag along for 2 months. He told me that the best part of all this is that it is that the recognition is coming at the begining of things. That they are still fine tuning everything, still striving to make things greater. He and his team are just getting warmed up.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Becca said...

Did I tell you that I was voted best diaper changing, nursery-rhyme singing, leg-warmer knitting, Goodwill shopping crazy, rambling Bonobo by our beloved Wildrose Bar?

I'll be waiting for the accolades and congratulations in your next post.

April 19, 2005 11:27 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Becca- I thought you were just voted the Wild Rose's most likely to be strait!!

April 20, 2005 2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home