Monday, April 18, 2005

Homesick

On my day off today I was battling some harsh feelings of missing home. Well, missing my home with Russell mostly. So to make myself feel better I thought I'd do something very american and make Russells favorite cookies, chocolate chip. My roommate walked in the door from work and exclaimed, "you yanks get a spare minute and your in the kitchen baking bloody cookies." Well, was it Descartes or popeye who said it best, "I am what I am"

The first step was finding the correct ingredients in the grocery store. Below is a picture of what I came up with. You can see that the chocoalte was opened and sampled long before it made it home, for quality controll purposes. I have had the recipe for chocolate chip cookies memorized since I was about 10. I can rememer when I had mastered the process well enough to do it with 8 dirty dishes and spoons, and had each step timed to the minute. At 14 I was already taking a profesional aproach to my work.



The brittish cast and crew of a chocolate chip cookie Posted by Hello

First is the butter. The butter in this country has a distinct flavor and odor. It is quite strong to me, not in a bad way. It just smells really buttery, very dairy. I made the assumption that this package of butter was the same as 2 sticks, the correct amount for my recipe.

Next we see the eggs that were laid by hens free to pay taxes and explore their sexuality.

I had my first try at baking with self rising flour. This solved the problem of not seeing any baking soda on the shelves.

Then I assumed that caster sugar was bakers sugar. The brown sugar I had to open in the store to check it's accuracy with my nose. Imagine being glared at in a brittish accent. I was told later that that hands-on-the-hip-angry-look is refered to as the "double teapot" here. I assured the woman that I would be purchasing the sugar. She wasn't even a Tesco employee.

While I did see chocolate chips for sale I had to choose against them. They were on off brand and the quantity was enough for about 10 cookies. Plus they were about 3 times the price of the 2 galaxy milk chocolate bars I bought. I am not usually a fan of milk chocolate but my tastes are changing. Can I dare say it!? I might actually prefer milk chocolate now?!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Bob in Texas said...

Interesting article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7558792/

April 19, 2005 8:45 AM  
Anonymous Becca said...

What, you don't miss me back at home?

Where is the recipe for our famous pea salad? Come on Dana...

April 19, 2005 11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cookies were GOOOOOOOD. Dan the Housemate!

April 20, 2005 3:29 AM  
Anonymous S. Worthen said...

Baking soda is labelled as sodium bicarbonate, or bicarbonate of soda in England, at least when I've bought it.

April 20, 2005 9:31 AM  
Blogger Thomas David Baker said...

You can't be THAT much of a Yank if you are quoting Descartes/Popeye jokes from Red Dwarf - a decidedly English show.

April 21, 2005 9:46 AM  
Anonymous david said...

I think Descartes would say something along the line of, i think therefore i am.

April 24, 2005 1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home