Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Step one

On my list of things to do in preparation for this trip was to finally invest in a knife of quality. I have been using the Messermeister that was given to me upon entering culinary school as part of my textbook package. It is also the cheap knife they buy in bulk for kitchens like red robin. You girls know the one. You can just barely make out the Art Institute of Seattle logo on the side. "But Dana," you might ask, "can that knife still be sharp? It's soo old, and so crappy!!" Well, it is old, and useless for that matter. In fact, it's been the source of much mockery directed at me from my cooks. Thankfully they have nice knifes for me to use. And in doing so I have had the good fortune of testing different knives and settling on the one I wanted to invest in. A knife to a cook is like Robin to Batman, Grace to Will, scratchy to itchy. And this isn't a relationship to enter into lightly. This knife will be with me for the next 10 years at least, 20 if I treat it right.

The winner is the Wusthof Grand Prix, 10 inch. It has beautifully forged steel, impressive heft, perfectly balanced, and is just big enough that it borders on a small sword.

So thanks to the magical combination of Valentines day and the sweetest guy in the whole world, this knife and I are starting our journey together. Nothing could be more perfect for me that a man who expresses romantic sentiment with a knife so big that airport security would consider it a weapon. This knife could be another source of mockery directed at me from my cooks if they knew it's mushy origins.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nowadays, toe nail clippers or even a ball point pen is considered a weapon by the airport security. Well the pen is mightier than the sword! - Libby

February 17, 2005 3:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have now witnessed this knife .... and so did nextdoors dog at close quarters. I had an interesting dinner that night ... hard to get rid of the fur though. Dan the housemate.

April 20, 2005 3:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home